What are your office hours?
- We are open (and answering the phone) from 8:30 - 4:30, Monday - Thursday; 8:30 - 2:30 on Friday. We are CLOSED on weekends and statutory holidays, as well as between Christmas and New Year's.
- Each counsellor does book some evening appointments on Tuesdays. Please call to inquire (780-539-5225).
Where are you located?
- Please see our home page for our address and a map.
Fees & Payments
- Please see our home page. We do expect payment at each session (i.e., not monthly).
- Please inform us as soon as possible if you need to reschedule an appointment. You will be charged $30 if you do not give us 24 hours' notice.
What kind of counselling do you do?
- Please see our home page for a list.
- No referral is necessary to book an appointment with one of our counsellors. Some people may be referred by lawyers, educators, courts, employers, employee assistant programs, doctors, shelters, or other agencies. However, you may also refer yourself.
- Booking times vary between counsellors. Please call our office at 780-539-5225 to inquire as it could be anywhere from a few days to four or more weeks. We do keep a cancellation list.
Privacy & Confidentiality
- "The Counsellors and staff of Burden Bearers are bound by standards of professional, statutory, ethical conduct, and confidentiality at all times. There will be no confidential information divulged to any person or agency outside of the Client's session without their written permission, except as provided for below."
- "There are limitations to professional confidentiality where the Counsellor may be required to contact the appropriate authorities with the required information. These limits of confidentiality include:
- If a person is deemed by the Counsellor to be at a serious/sever risk of harming himself/herself or others;
- If there is reasonable suspicion of child abuse;
- Our records may be subpoenaed by a Court of Law;
- Other legal limitations/requirements not set out herein."
How many sessions will I need?
- The number of sessions a person needs varies greatly, depending on the situation or problem, your willingness to work and change, the type of therapy, and other variables. Some people come once and others come every week for years! We do not restrict how many times you can come (though your benefit plan or EAP may only pay for a certain number). Many people come once a week or once a month.
Can I change counsellors if I want to?
- Yes. It is important that you connect with your counsellor in order for the process to be a success. Keep in mind that if you do switch, you will need to fill out the intake forms for the new counsellor.
- If you have been referred by an EAP company, you will need to ask them to re-refer you. Please also let us know that you are doing so, in order that we can close your file.
- If you have certain benefit requirements, be aware that your coverage may not extend to a different counsellor.